10 signatures reached
To: The Federal Government of Australia
The Better Democracy Charter
The charter is an ever changing document, based on the input of it’s supporters. This is the current form, as of May 2017:
We desire the following to occur, so as to better our democracy:
1. It is to be made illegal for politicians to lie to the Australian people (in their capacity as representatives).
2. When in Parliament, politicians must act in a more civil, constructive and mature manner, per an updated and strengthened code of conduct.
3. When Federal and State government is formed or returned at an election, the nominated Prime Minister or Premier cannot be prematurely removed from that position by their colleagues unless they lose the confidence of the majority of their parliament.
4. Controlling, coercing and otherwise pressuring elected representatives and how they vote through political Party rules, discipline and structures is to be outlawed.
5. Election campaign mass media advertising (print, radio, television and digital) is to be banned.
6. Those seeking elected office during election campaigns are to clearly articulate what promises they make, and enter them into a legal contract with their electorate.
7. Donations to political parties and candidates must be given by individual people, and capped.
8. A federal Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) is to be established.
9. Local government councils are to be recognised within the Constitution and to draw their power from that document.
10. Prior to election day, a democratic online voting platform will be employed to determine up to ten issues to be voted upon by the public during elections, so as to clearly express the public will on important issues and policy, and to allow referendums to occur more frequently and cheaply.
Why is this important?
Please sign and share this Charter, if- like me- you're worried about the world, Australia and how our politicians act.
There is something very wrong with politics, and I think it will take ordinary people acting smart, acting strong and acting together to better it. The Charter is intended as a focusing point to unite enough people's energy and ideas in one place so as to effect change.
The idea is to address the underlying system rather than the many bad issues which arise from the system; to change the landscape of citizen engagement with governance so as to get better outcomes.
How it will be delivered
This version of the Charter is the first step ( just my ideas), and will likely change through a process of online discussion and voting, followed by physical discussion and voting. It will then be presented by hand to representatives and parliaments.
Please visit the campaign website:
to find out how you can be involved in improving the Charter, and in the campaign to see it enacted.