Welcome to CommunityRun – a new project that puts the power to campaign in your hands. CommunityRun was started by GetUp Australia, as part of our mission to bring participation back into our democracy.
We know from experience that there are thousands of Australians with amazing ideas to change our communities for the better, and this platform gives you access to the tools, technology, guidance and support to take a campaign from an idea to victory. Here's what you need to know.
- We allow anyone to use this platform to campaign for change – even if we disagree. That means we may see a campaign on here we personally don't agree with, or a campaign that seems a bit kooky. If we do anything inappropriate (ie: bullying, discriminatory, defamatory or illegal), we inform the CommunityRun staff.
- Campaigns created by the community are just that, and are not automatically endorsed by GetUp or the CommunityRun staff. When staff do spot a great campaign that's particularly timely, strategic or doing well, they'll get in touch with you to talk about it and see how they can help.
- Not every campaign gets equal billing space. This is one of those 'wisdom of crowds' things – and campaigns that rise to the top in terms of merit and interest will be more likely featured on the home page and given support. We've all been there and feel your pain when an issue you care about just isn't getting the response you'd like, so staff and fellow community members will try to help if we think there are things you can tweak to make a bigger impact.
- Size isn't everything. Not every campaign needs tens of thousands of signatures on a petition to be effective. The more local your issue, the harder it will be to ignore even a relatively small number of people speaking out. And local campaigns can be some of the most rewarding, so whatever the size of your challenge, don't be afraid to go for it!
- We each take responsibility for our campaign and for treating each other as we'd want to be treated. Anyone who abuses this community through nasty comments will be asked to leave. Anyone who expects someone else to do their grunt work for them will be disappointed.
- We've been invited in on the ground of something brand new, and it's up to us to create and nurture a culture of enthusiasm, support, respect and patience. There are lots of places on the internet where people like to tear each other down; this isn't one of them.
- If you have a great idea for improving the site or spot something that needs fixing, tell the staff and be patient. New features will be coming online as the site evolves, but our tiny team of staff and volunteers definitely appreciate not being badgered.
- You can campaign on pretty much anything, anywhere. While CommunityRun has been created in Australia, you may wish to start a campaign, say to a global company, that goes beyond our borders. That's great.Whether you want to fix a pothole on your street or take on a multinational corporation, don't be afraid to go for it.